Um, feta and basil with watermelon? And olive oil? Sounds weird, tastes PHENOMENAL. This summer watermelon salad is perfect for any party or boat trip.
Okay so, the basil plant from my Fresh Basil Pesto recipe is still on your porch and you need a new use for it. Well, here comes a summer watermelon salad recipe that I promise you’ll love. Every time I make this I have to stop myself from eating the entire bowl myself. The contrast of the salty feta & sweet watermelon make this “salad” irresistible. Combined with a light dressing of olive oil and lime juice – the basil comes to life and you feel like you’re actually eating summer.
Still not convinced that this summer watermelon salad will be any good?
Maybe its the basil. You can swap that out for mint if you’d prefer. I like it with mint-but I LOVE it with basil. I also always have fresh basil, so if you’re a mint farmer instead go ahead and try that first.
First things first…
Chill your watermelon. Warm watermelon is okay, but it’s really just weird. A hot summer day with a warm watermelon salad? Okay, if that’s what you’re into…
You should make this fairly close to the time you plan on serving it. The watermelon will stay chilled, nothing will be soggy (we’ve all left watermelon in the fridge and it gets that weird soft texture, gross).
What you need to make summer watermelon salad:
- 3lb watermelon about 6 cups cubed
- 8 oz crumbled feta buying a block and cutting it fresh is nice
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or mint or a combo, chopped/torn
Let’s get to it
Cut up the watermelon into cubes. I really wish I had advice on this, but I don’t. I’m not good at it and really prefer not to be the one doing the cutting. Small hands are not good for this. Beg someone else to do it if you can. While you’re cutting, place the cubes into a colander to drain some liquid out.
Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add the watermelon and feta to a large bowl and pour the olive oil mixture over. Tear or chop the basil/mint and add to the bowl. Mix well and use whole basil or mint leaves to garnish.
This vibrant summer snack is fresh, sweet, and salty. Take it to your next summer holiday party or lake day & enjoy!
Feta and Basil Summer Watermelon Salad
- 1 3lb Watermelon seedless
- 8 oz Feta crumbled
- 2 Limes pressed
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- Cut up the watermelon into cubes, I have no advice on the best way to do this. Set them in a colander while you're cutting to drain the juice.
- Mix the dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and juice of two limes in a bowl.
- Add the watermelon to your serving bowl with the feta. Pour the dressing over and mix. Tear or chop the fresh basil and add it. Mix to combine. Save some whole basil leaves for garnish and serve immediately.
- Note: this is best with a cold watermelon, served soon after it is made. Make this no longer than an hour before serving and keep chilled.